Ecological Influences of Wood in Aquatic and Riparian Ecosystems
- Integrative effects of wood on ecosystem processes (e.g., nutrient uptake, habitat, hyporheic exchange).
- Beavers & beaver dams.
- Landscape-scale synthesis of ecological influences of wood.
Wood and Large Disturbances
- Volcanic eruptions.
- Insect-induced die-off.
- Cyclones & other blowdowns.
- Fine or small wood, as well as large wood.
- Wood budgets.
- Wood recruitment (governing variables, processes, rates).
- Transport, deposition, mobilization.
- Decay, breakage.
- Wood and floodplain dynamics (hydraulic & geomorphic effects of wood, wood transport mechanics).
- Influence of riparian vegetation on wood dynamics & geomorphic change.
- Techniques for monitoring wood dynamics, including wood fluxes.
- Modeling (e.g., physical experiments, advanced computational methods).
- Landscape synthesis of wood dynamics.
Management of Wood in Rivers
- Managing wood sources/silvicultural restoration of wood recruitment
- Management of wood-related hazards and risks in human-altered river basins (design of wood-trapping structures, strategies to mitigate ecological impacts of channel engineering and wood removal)
- Quantification of wood-related hazards, risks & benefits in response to floods
- Restoration of wood dynamics and riverine habitat
- Restoration of ecological processes with wood restoration
- Biotic responses to wood augmentation or removal
- Wood retention in managed landscapes
- Perception, governance, regulations, and policy